Friday, January 22, 2016

Painted rocks

Over the weekend my 15 year old daughter uttered those two little words that, I as a mother, despise, "I'm bored".  Hummm what to do?  "Want to paint some rocks?"  I asked.  "Sure" she replied, and to my surprise she found a channel on the TV that was showing nature pictures and playing classical music, "for inspiration" she said!

So I  sauntered into the not yet organized craft room and got out my craft paints, brushes and a $1.00 bag of rocks from the dollar store.  We washed the rocks and dried them well.  Then the fun began.  We painted and talked and generally had a good time.  It's amazing the things you can learn about your teen while painting rocks! The rocks were small and I wished they were a little larger.  However, the final results were pleasing.

A couple of tips for you are to use smooth flat rocks. Wash and dry your rocks well prior to painting them.  I put some saran wrap on my glass table top to protect it from the paint, and I always use Styrofoam plates for my paint palettes.  Use high quality craft paints, or acrylic paints and small brushes. It is helpful to paint some darker rocks white prior to adding your designs.  You will find that the lighter colors will be more vibrant.  We didn't paint the whole rock white, just the tops.   After you paint your rocks let them dry for 48 hours.  After they are dried well you can spray them with clear or matte acrylic spray like this.



 Its a good and inexpensive activity and you will be surprised at your children's creativity!


These are my daughters rocks!



These are my painted rocks


I hope you enjoyed seeing our rocks.  I particularly liked my daughters donut and grow rocks.  We had a lot of fun with this simple activity.  I would like to add that I have not sprayed my rocks with the gloss spray yet.  The spray will enhance the colors and add to the durability of the paint.

Have fun painting some rocks of your own!

Enjoy the journey and seize the day!
๑Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ๑*¨*• Barbara •.¸¸..๑Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Visit my Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment