Tuesday, January 5, 2016

One Drawer at a time!

Today I am going to de-clutter my kitchen junk drawer.  It is a place that at one time was organized, but over time became a tangled mess of miscellaneous items!  It is a monster that can, over time, take over your space!  I am wondering why I even have one?  Many of the items are useless.  I don't know what they are for, or where they go.  I don't ever use them.  They get tossed into the abyss and are never thought of again.  Here is a before picture of my junk drawer.




I guess you have noticed there are three pictures here!  Yes it's true, my junk drawer has flowed over to other spaces because it is full.  Let's examine some of the things found in here!

Old cell phones, old cameras, hair clips, hair bands, needles, screws, unknown items and coins.  Needles, pins , pens, teeth!, baby shoe tie keepers, old elementary school papers (my youngest is 15!!) , batteries, cell phone cases for old phones we no longer own! Well you get the idea.  Most of these things are ok if they are being utilized.  Not if they are buried in a drawer.

Here are the after Pictures.  I cut the plastic packaging that the batteries were in to make holders for them in the drawer.   I don't have small children in my home but if you do please lock up the batteries!  Especially the button batteries as they can be easily swallowed and can cause death.



I found the drawer organizer at goodwill for $1.00.    I already had the white organizer.  I think it came from Container store but that was years ago. Small boxes would also work.  Cut up small food boxs and tape them together to help you organize small items.  Or use ziplock baggies!  Go to dollar tree and buy these for $1.00.
 Don't use a lack of organization tools or money to keep you from being organized and neat.  When things have a place to "live" they become easier to deal with and put away.  So ban the junk drawers in your home...One drawer at a time.
All clean and organized! This project today took me 45 minutes start to finish!
The steps.

  1. Empty the drawer on the counter or a table.
  2. Take stock of the items.  Quickly throw out the obvious trash and items that you haven't needed in the last 6 months.
  3. Sort like items
  4. Take items to the rooms they belong in for example, hair ties in the girls bathroom, screws and tools in the tool box.
  5. Clean the drawer.  Vacuum and wipe out.
  6. Consider using a  drawer organizer, cutlery tray,small boxes, ice cube trays or ziplock bags to organize the remaining contents.
  7. Neatly place items you will use back into the drawer.
  8. Take a picture and post it to the Facebook page so we can all admire your work!  
  9. Smile!!

 I am renaming the drawers, the battery drawer,  scent drawer and utility drawer!

Enjoy the journey and seize the day!
๑Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ๑*¨*• Barbara •.¸¸..๑Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ


No comments:

Post a Comment